Wandermuse

One artist's journey: Trying to live a creative life with grace, grit, gratitude...and a border collie.
(or perhaps I should say: greys, grit and gratitude)

24 December 2014

A Christmas Story


When I was 10, I asked my parents for a horse. Just any old horse wouldn't do, I was specific. I wanted a dappled grey gelding, about 14 hands, 7-8 years old, who would jump and run barrels. My folks knew they'd never find THAT...but, since I'd outgrown the Shetlands and none of the horses were "mine", they began the search for a solid horse.

Two days before Christmas they found HIM. A dappled grey Connemara gelding, 14 hands, 8 years old, who'd raced gymkhana and the steeplechase pony races (often winning). They bought him on the spot for the 'outrageous' price of $250, and went home to get the trailer. When they returned, another trailer was pulling out of the dealer's place. Years later we'd find out that it was the horse's original owners. They'd had a change of heart and came back for him...but it was too late.  Fortunately for me, the dealer kept to his bargain with Mom and Dad. Serendipitously, the little horse they called "Chigger" had been at the dealer's less than a day.

That Christmas morning, I found carrots in my stocking and looked out the picture window to see my dream horse tied to the split rail fence. (To this day I get misty just thinking about it.) "Chigger" was changed to "Clyde" and he became one of the many extraordinary animals that have shared my life.



There is a good reason that I have a soft spot for grey horses...

Happy Holidays, everyone...may all your dreams come true!

2 comments:

  1. My 1st horse, at the age of 30, was a dappled grey mare named 'Twister'. She had a reputation in the canyon of being unruly and difficult. I bought her from a rent string and she was tired and very 'done' with the whole experience. I promised her she would never have to carry a side banging, mouth yanking kid again. She accepted me and taught me to trust, but not too much. She taught me to think, and once enlightened, to let go of those thoughts. They are so very special, those greys...

    ReplyDelete